The Thunderbird School of Global Management at Arizona State University selected Planar (opens in new tab) as the display technology partner for its new global headquarters in downtown Phoenix. In celebration of Thunderbird’s 75th anniversary, the new five-story, 110,000-square-foot, high-tech facility features an impressive selection of Planar display solutions, supporting the institution’s mission of being the most technological and digital leadership management business school in the world.
Planar’s selection of display installations appear throughout the new headquarters, including the Digital Global Forum, Global Decision Theater, Founders Ring, classrooms, meeting spaces and more. This includes LED, LCD, transparent OLED, and custom display solutions delivering new ways for Thunderbird to recruit, instruct, collaborate and visualize data.
[Planar Expands VP and XR Product Portfolio—Everything You Need to Know] (opens in new tab)
“It’s an incredible privilege to power Thunderbird’s new global headquarters with Planar’s industry-leading display solutions,” said executive vice president Adam Schmidt. “Thunderbird is a world-renowned institution with a reputation of being at the forefront of innovation. In addition to elevating viewing and learning experiences, our extensive portfolio of groundbreaking visualization technologies is a perfect match for Thunderbird’s vanguard capabilities for global connectivity in its new high-tech facility. We’re thrilled to be making history with one of the most technologically sophisticated global management schools in the world.”
An assortment of smoothly curved LED displays serves as a key attraction near the building’s ground-floor entrance before visitors are surrounded by an extensive range of LCD display technologies that support teaching and next-generation collaboration.
“Our vision is to not only reclaim our position as the most global leadership and management school in the world, but to also be the most digital and technological,” said Sanjeev Khagram, director general and dean of Thunderbird. “That was our mantra for designing and building this fantastic new global headquarters, and it’s the long-term partnerships with collaborators like Planar that has brought it to life.”
[Planar Introduces Two LED Video Wall Displays for Indoor and Outdoor Use] (opens in new tab)
In addition to helping Thunderbird become the most technologically sophisticated graduate school in the world, the new leading-edge facility and Planar’s best-in-class visualization technologies are instrumental in the School’s pursuit to lead the Fourth Industrial Revolution. The partnership merges Planar’s nearly 40-year history of designing, deploying and supporting display solutions and leadership in delivering unparalleled visual performance with Thunderbird’s global enterprise management expertise and renowned leadership success development programs.
Thunderbird students, faculty and visitors will experience the following display installations from Planar:
Facility Entrance, Digital Global Forum, and Visualization Room
- Nearly 9-foot diameter Planar CarbonLight CLI Series LED video display with a 1.9-millimeter pixel pitch forming the Founders Ring, featuring the names of the Schools’ founders and a canvas for branding, key messages or welcoming guests.
- Custom 8.2-foot diameter LED sphere with a three-millimeter pixel pitch suspended from the ceiling hangs in the Digital Global Forum, a dynamic open rotunda used to host a variety of events and presentations.
- A Planar CarbonLight CLI Series LED video wall in an 18-foot-wide, 5-foot-high array with a 1.5-millimeter pixel pitch and motion-responsive technology controls content on the custom LED sphere.
- A 360-degree LED video ribbon of Planar CarbonLight CLI VX Series LED displays with a 2.6-millimeter pixel pitch measures 146-feet-long and 6.5-feet-high and supports 12 videoconferencing or camera feeds.
- A second Planar CarbonLight CLI VX Series LED video wall with a 2.6-millimeter pixel pitch is installed directly below the LED ribbon. Measuring 26-feet-wide and 10-feet-tall, the video wall is used for presentations or live camera feeds.
- A 55-inch Planar LookThru Transparent OLED Display is located at the front entrance and serves as a virtual greeter to welcome guests.
Classrooms and Meeting Spaces
- A curved, 30-foot-wide Planar CarbonLight CLI Flex Series LED video wall with a 1.5-millimeter pixel pitch provides a spectacular presentation and broadcast background in the Global Decision Theater.
- Nine multi-touch tables, each comprised of 55-inch ultra-narrow bezel optical touch LCD displays in a 3x1 configuration for next-generation collaboration.
- Three Planar UltraRes X Series 100-inch touch 4K LCD displays in the fifth-floor Thunderbird Pub.
- Two Planar HB Series 75-inch Huddle Board touch screen displays in the Dean’s suite.
- Hundreds of additional Planar large format 4K LCD displays ranging from 55-98 inches deployed throughout the facility’s classrooms and learning spaces.
[AV Network's top stories, product news, and expert insights] (opens in new tab)