Hotel renovations makes business travelers feel at home by adding digital signage to the hospitality mix
The Best Western in Rowland Heights, CA, part of the leading national hotel chain, was in search of affordable and effective ways that it could improve its look and technology as its 20th anniversary approached. As part of a complete top-to-bottom renovation, the 135-room hotel wanted to reinforce its appeal to a new generation of corporate business travelers who regularly interact with cutting-edge technology, much of it screen based. Another key consideration was finding ways to promote its staff’s productivity via time and cost saving solutions that would also enhance its guests’ stay at the establishment.
One critical, but cost-effective investment that solved many of the hotel’s challenges at once was the installation of two high-profile LCD screen-based digital signage systems by Westinghouse Digital Electronics.
- decoration, the Westinghouse screens instantly added a bright, contemporary look to the hotel’s environment. As communication devices, they replaced our traditional paper handouts with compelling text and images that could easily be created and changed by our staff in just minutes each morning. As time and cost savers, they excelled by eliminating ink and printing costs and saving administrative time. Most importantly, our guests, many of whom are long-time customers, really noticed the updated look and feel, and felt that we were better catering to their needs.”
- Each, easy-to-operate turnkey system featured Westinghouse’s neonSource or neonNow digital signage software loaded on a neonPlayer media player and displayed on a Westinghouse LCD monitor. Westinghouse’s neonSource software offers businesses a simple way to showcase ads or messaging on any size flat panel display while customers are watching selected programming. The neonNow software is preloaded with templates that allow businesses the flexibility of just entering text for instant ad or message creation.
- Best Western chose to install the screens in key traffic locations near the front desk and by the hotel’s breakfast area. The LCD screen in the lobby is powered by neonNow, and allows the hotel to showcase photo-based ads for its amenities such as its swimming pool and newly decorated rooms. The breakfast room’s 42-inch screen, which utilizes the neonSource software, is focused more on direct communication, delivering key information to guests such as the conference room schedule, free shuttle service schedule, and breakfast room hours.
- Cheng notes that the turnkey, easy-to-use nature of the Westinghouse digital signage system and its visual appeal are key parts of its appeal. “Out staff needed no special training to become adept at inputting the details that change from day to day and creating compelling ads that really showcase the hotel’s best features and amenities. And the look is so compelling that the owner of this Best Western has decided to install Westinghouse digital signage in his Oakland hotel as well.”
- Westinghouse’s neonSource is also a way for businesses to showcase ads on any size flat panel display while customers are watching selected programming. Offered for displays in landscape mode, it is a complete and customizable digital signage solution that allows users to create their own content. neonSource features Westinghouse’s proprietary MosaicView technology that lets a business display multiple images simultaneously on one screen. It is ideal for businesses looking to upgrade a display that currently shows TV or video and turn it into an all-in-one digital signage tool. neonSource allows businesses to advertise their latest product solutions, informational messages, daily specials, and promotional launches throughout the day on a timed rotation. The programming remains uninterrupted as the ads or messages dynamically inserted around it on the sides, top and bottom of the screen.
- Westinghouse’s neonNow digital signage software is preloaded with professionally designed templates that allow businesses the flexibility of just entering text for signage in an instant. neonNow also provides a simple iconbased drag-and-drop user interface design that allows for simple insertion of a business’ logos, ads, or videos. neonNow includes several professionally produced, specific templates with customizable text features for many industries, including retail/boutique, hospitality, restaurant, education, and a generic design neonPlayer is a media player designed to play neonNow or neonSource digital signage software. It features a compact sleek
horizontal set-top-box style chassis, a front power button with display-status LED, and emits very little noise and heat for green-conscious business owners. Key system features include 2.3 GHz Dual-Core CPU; a 160 GB hard disk drive; 10/100/1000 LAN (RJ-45); HDMI / VGA output; analog audio output; and YPbPr input. The software supports up to 1920 x 1080 resolution. Supported video formats include MPG1/2/4, H.264, AVI, WMV, SWF, and FLV. Supported image formats include BMP, GIF, JPG, WMF, EMF, and PNG.
In the breakfast area, the Best Western system features Westinghouse’s 42-inch VM- 42F140S commercial LCD monitor. The VM- 42F140S features 1920 x 1080 resolution, the highest standard available to consumers for HD digital video display; 1080Pure for 1080p resolution out of all HD connectors; bi-directional RS-232C communication; discrete RS-232 commands; built-in speakers; a full suite of connectors, including HDMI, DVI, YPbPr, VGA, and Composite/ S-Video; SpineDesign construction for easy cable management and convenient media box access; Autosource technology that automatically turns the TV on and adjusts it when an external source is detected; DPMS timer for convenient on/off application for lower power consumption; safety and security with Anti-tip Over/Theft Deterrent rings; front panel and remote lock for security in public environments; and start input and volume for consistent set up on power up. The monitor is Energy Star and ROHS compliant, and uses recyclable materials.
For more information on Westinghouse’s latest digital signage solutions, visit www.wde.com/dss.